Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Xmas Gift


My pal C made these for me for xmas from swarovski crystals and sterling silver. They're unmistakably preppy pink and green but they have another style that I can't completely put my finger on. Goth? Romantic? I don't know what it is but I do know these are me to a T. Anyone who's been reading Preppycrat regularly has probably figured out when I do mention my own personal style, there are undertones to the preppy. Maybe it has to do with being a brunette with fair skin, a bit of goth can be flattering when you're a brunette. Maybe it's the 80s New Wave influence and color set against a black backdrop in clothes, shoes and jewelry - a look I always was complimented on even when the colors were the most vivid reds, jades, royal blues. Maybe it's that conversation I had with friends in NYC a few years back where we mused over the thought of a bermuda bag made out of black rubber and snapping to a metal frame instead of buttoning to a wood frame. Maybe it's all of these and more - sometimes what we wear is our life story. Anyway I'm wearing the earrings now and loving them, and thinking of the creative, cool person who made them for me. xoxoxo's to you, C!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your friend did such a great job, those have a great look! And as a brunette with the fair skin thing, there is definitely something about goth influences we find very flattering and therefore super-appealing. (Oooh, this is *so* not Princess! Heh-heh.)

Hope your New Year is all you hope and dream Miss Preppycrat!
tp

Noracharles1995 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noracharles1995 said...

Thanks TP! My daughter is the blonde blue eyed "Lilly Girl" and was born to the navy. Me, I look better in black. I'll expound on that in a future post.

Hope you have a wonderful New Year too, and thanks for those Thakoon updates! I can't wait to see the collection.

Kate said...

Those are just gorgeous!

Noracharles1995 said...

Thanks Kate! They're even prettier in person and I've worn them alot considering I just got them on xmas.

Gothic Dragon said...

Thanks for your kind comments, folks. And thanks to Preppycrat! I enjoyed making them, and it was fun to shop for just the right size crystals. :)

Stevie said...

think Victorian era perhaps-- which is both goth in parts as well as romantic. the colors are soft and delicate and the silver parts match that feeling of that era. LOVELY chandeliers btw.. to be worn with jeans or dresses.

Noracharles1995 said...

C is a genius! Stevie, I think you're right, they have overtones or undertones of goth, or Victorian.