Monday, April 20, 2009

What I Want to Look Like When I Grow Up

For several reasons I've decided to let my hair go grey. First, though I have little grey at this point, I have enough to know "my" grey is a light, cool silver. This will work with the colors I live in anyway, jewel tones, light clear colors, black, various shades of denim - and my Mom's diamond wedding band. Second, nearly every time I've spent considerable time or money on my hair, I've been disappointed. Styling products from high end to low fry my hair or dull it. Ditto curling irons. Most perms I've had were history 3 days later, regardless of what I paid for them - and I did wait to wash my hair. Third, I know if the grey looks frumpy, my posse will tell me starting with my 5 year old who does not mince words. Ever. But fourth and maybe the most important of all - my Mom, who faithfully went to the salon each month for color and touched it up at home in between salon visits lost her life to lymphoma when she was 85. It's true the older you get the likelier you are to develop lymphoma and not survive. But I have great aunts who lived into their 90s and one who lived to 103. I will always wonder if toxins in hair color took her life. Especially when each time I was pregnant my doc told me not to color my hair. If I end up needing to color my grey it will be with henna or something safe.

I hope that won't be necessary. And more and more, there are great muses for those of us who don't want to cover our grey. Consider Kathleen Sebelius (I am since she's being picked on by Sarah Palin, and since she is having to wait and wait to be confirmed HHS Secretary).



The Obama handbag might look wrong on someone else but on her, it works. It picks up the colors in her hair and she keeps the rest of the outfit vibrant red. Of course wearing a big smile helps the overall look too.



Another red outfit - what I love here is no brass buttons, hers are black and shaped like flowers. I wanted a full head to toe shot of this outfit and alas, couldn't find one but this is another look that's just a bit different from the usual red jacketed female politico.



Here she is at the Governors' dinner in January. January. And looking great in a sleeveless and daringly low cut for DC, evening gown. Her hair is done without looking helmet-ish and the gold jewelry is just right for the forest green of the gown. Did I mention she's a grandmother?



Finally, we see Ms. Sebelius in a blue violet suit the day President Obama nominated her to be HHS Secretary. I think this is the perfect female equivalent of the men's power suit. It's blue, but a more vivid color. It stands out but looks strong too. Her jacket is fitted, a nice change from the overly boxy suits many women in DC have worn up until very recently and a nod to fashion. She keeps the jewelry understated - a wise move with a vivid color like cobalt, and at a press conference that's announcing her nomination for a cabinet level position.

No frumpy here, anywhere. I had a tough time limiting it to just four outfits of hers because when I looked around the internet, she is wearing clothes that are alive with color, and she isn't shy about accessorizing but doesn't overdo it either. I hope those Obama handbags don't go away anytime soon. I might want one of my own one day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to like the red suit better, but red is the color of evil, death, and Wyoming.

Why is the media still giving Sarah Palin an audience? If our team had lost they would be a footnote in history by now. It would be nice if she were still in the public eye simply because she's so unbelievably funny, in the way that, say, American Idol is funny. Sadly, some people think both are a serious news story. Probably a Fox conspiracy.

Noracharles1995 said...

True re: red, not to mention it's the color of all Red States - the remaining ones that is. My fave outfit on KS is the cobalt suit. She looks attractive and authoritative in it without being a clone of the men in navy blue. I had a pic of her in turquoise I was going to include but she appeared to be at a confirmation hearing and looked exasperated, and stressed (her hair looked like she'd run her fingers through it). Still the color was gorgeous on her.

IMO SP still gets an audience because she's a squeaky wheel and her family is so Jerry Springer-esque. I'm sure MSNBC likes covering them because all of them are funny in a pathetic way but when they do, they're legitimizing her. They should stop talking about her and see if she goes away.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, there's a 1994 red Saab convertible for sale near me that I've had my eye on. For something like that, I could theoretically make an exception.

This is the big problem with the political process nowadays: somebody like SP has absolutely nothing constructive to offer, and yet the media gives her legitimacy because it helps them compete in the digital age. Looking back over the last 10 years you can see where it's gotten us.

Think back to the 2000 presidential
race. Did George W. Bush and Al Gore(my respect for him notwithstanding) get in that position for their accomplishments,
or for their name recognition? How much sooner might we have cooled off some of the overheated rhetoric of the 1990s if the media had not pre-ordained them as the front runners before the primary season had even started? Could Bill Bradley have emerged as the Barack Obama of that election cycle? Unfortunately, we'll never know, because the media predictably turned the whole thing into a circus.