Friday, April 3, 2009

Preppycrat to a T, or a Polo


Over the years, I've wrestled with the question of just what style I prefer - how does one reconcile loafers and twinsets with vivid 80s colors, neon, and black, black black?
Finally I've stumbled upon it. I've been more or less looking for a good raincoat the past few months. My old Merona standby in cranberry red is giving up the ghost. A friend gave me her old Burberry and thrilled, I took it. Burberry for cryin' out loud! But not only did it not fit, it was too...beige. I do feel I'm as preppy as the next Muffy or Buffy but problem is alot of colors traditionally associated with prep totally wash me out - navy and beige in particular. Other 3/4 length raincoats weren't quite right either, black/white giraffe print is overwhelming on a woman of average height like yours truly, yellow, pink, orange might well look out of style next year or the year after and besides, I'll probably get sick of them.
Then this week's rains made the quest more urgent. Finally I found it yesterday, plainer than I was looking for initially but I feel right in it and it will last. A London Fog 3/4 length trench in black. Search over. What's telling is I didn't go for the beige, it was the shape of the preppy option but in black, not the first choice for preppy color but the choice I look alot better in. Then I saw the shirt above at one of my fave places to look for shirts American Apparel. Don't know if Muffy or Buffy ever even walk past AA but then again, this prep also has one foot in the 80s and never quite left. Though this shirt is neon purple, it's a polo shirt. I don't own it...yet.
Then there are the shoes - a pair of Sesto Meucci black loafer mules. Preppy shape yes. But in black patent leather with a graffiti print on them that's gotten alot of comments (and compliments) each time I've worn them. The pattern is in shades of green, turquoise, red, and white, and reminiscent of something Stephen Sprouse may have dreamed up and created. I can't for the life of me find them online but will take a pic asap and post it here.
And if any of y'all are curious, I will elaborate on my style journey and how prep wound up coexisting with 80s chick in a subsequent post. All I can say is it can work. Really.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya know, Land's End has some really nice floral print raincoats that they're selling through their Sears locations ... I know Sears isn't very prep, but Land's End kinda is, or at least was ... and these coats ARE nice.
There's two color choices, both on a sand ground color, and both with black flower stems: one with kiwi green flowers, the other with tomato red flowers. I was going to actually get one for my wife's birthday, but it's priced beyond just slightly beyond my decidedly non-prep budget, and I wasn't sure if she'd prefer the red or the green. Check it out - maybe you can swing it! Always good to have a spare raincoat, eh?

Noracharles1995 said...

Hey Mark, I'm making a Sears run today to look at some Land's End sweaters, I'll have to check these raincoats out. They sound prep but with a trendy edge. And yeah, it's never a bad idea to have an extra raincoat w/ all this crummy weather we've had lately.

If you sign up for snail mail or email updates from Sears, they'll send Land's End coupons. The Land's End clothes also go on sale at sale prices only slightly more than the "regular" Sears clothes. I found a Lands' End jean skirt for C for $6.99.

I'll find you the link for the raincoat and send it to you so you can bookmark it and check back regularly. That way you can find out when it gets marked down and go pick one up.

Anonymous said...

Who says neon colors aren't preppy? I thought the fun thing about a polo shirt is that it's the one item that allows the otherwise beige-and-Burberry prepster to live a little. If someone doesn't say I look like a fruit smoothie when I wear my polos, I don't feel I've done my job!

Noracharles1995 said...

John - I like the way you think :-). I came of age in the 80s and alot of my style is influenced by New Wave (or is it old wave at this point, or still new since so many 80s inspired clothes are in stores). American Apparel is like walking back into the 80s which I love. Check out the other colors they have the shirt in - I think there's an acid green and an orange.

Noracharles1995 said...

PS - I am as prep as the next muffy or buffy but oh god, I so don't do beige. It makes me look like I'm in advanced stages of liver disease. My dream Burberry trench would be emerald green, cobalt or black.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I think I already have RL polos in those colors, not to mention yellow, magenta, and sky blue--oh yeah, and white. Ever visited the Polo store at Fort Chiswell, VA? It'll make your eyeballs pop out!

Does NoraCharles ever maximize the 80s wackiness with layered polos? I actually still like this look, but I might be getting too old for it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Preppycrat, somehow we forgot to read you for a week or two...arrghh! (It is fun to get all caught up though!)

We *love* this post, as it articulates the very thing we hear discussed so often in a more sotto voce manner! And the harsh reality is that beige (and most neutrals) are *never* going to be a happening thing for yours truly!

Have a wonderful rest of the week!
tp

PS: We also enjoyed the grey hair post and pictures!