Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Preppy...And Plus Size? Part One

My name is Vicki and I'm a plus size Prep. There. I said it. I may be not in the size range of Lilly P or Vineyard Vines but I can still smile when I see their clothes. It's about color even if, maybe especially if, I can't really summer or winter and my last skiing lesson was a disaster. And I am sitting behind a desk much of the time instead of being outside swatting tennis balls. I know I can't be alone. Impossible. Brands like Lauren by RL are branching out and creating amazing looks for plus size preppies. So are others. When I first started looking for great looks, I wasn't sure what to expect but actually was blown away by what is out there. So this is a multi part post, starting with scenarios where you may need something in the "dressy" category. Your first scenario; you have a wedding, baby shower, or graduation to go to. Or a laid back cocktail party.

Studio Tahari, Bloomingdales ($148.00). Turquoise is a great color on nearly everyone, from the fair haired preppy to the brunette. The length of this hem is great too, just above the knee. The split neck and trim around the neck say "prep".


You have a job interview and want to look great:




The dress at left is courtesy of Studio Tahari ($108) Bloomingdales. The jacket below is by Kate Hill ($149.00) LordandTaylor.com











Now you have the job. Congratulations! But here it comes, your first meeting or presentation and you're front and center. You can pair the black sheath with the blue jacket or either cardigan below if your workplace is more casual.



Cardigan, left, Ralph Lauren ($129, "Pasha" ivory silk cardigan) Bloomingdales.


Below, cardigan from Jones New York Sport Plus $63.00 from Zappos.






This is just a start! For a casual Friday day you could pair either cardigan with jeans, the black dress can easily move to evening with great jewelry and heels. Lilly (of course!) has some wonderful shoes to pair with that turquoise and white dress here. Brooks Brothers has some great ideas both for work and for play here.

Like I say above, this is just a start. Please let me know what scenarios YOU would like sartorial ideas for and I will see what I can come up with. This may be a topic where there are endless possibilities that point to one reality; prep is for EVERYONE!

Next post is casual time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the author Jen Lancaster is a great example of the plus-sized prep. She's gorgeous, and rocks a Lacoste polo better than anyone.

Noracharles1995 said...

She is indeed John. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her in person but I've seen her pic at book signings and she is quintessential prep.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to see her in Richmond on May 4. :D

Noracharles1995 said...

You lucky Devil you :-)